Thursday, March 19, 2009

What comfort zone!?!?

Talk about taking me out of my comfort zone. Randy was subbing today for Steve at a BNI meeting today. Well at about 5 AM Randy tears out of bed to the bathroom. I thought he had overslept ... but soon I was to hear otherwise. And boy it was NOT a pretty sight ... and that's only using the hearing as my visual guide. Needless to say being the loving wife that I try to be, I got him a cool wash cloth and asked him how he was doing. When he finally was able to come back to bed I asked what he was going to do about the meeting and he promptly fell to sleep without verbally answering me. Thus, so did I. At 6:38 AM he stirs and asks why I'm not ready to go to the meeting. I'm thinking ... yeah, right. Me sub for the sub. But then I realized he was serious. I guess he had a conversation with himself while he was asleep where as he thought he had talked to me about going. Go figure, I'm a wife not a mind reader! Besides I speak hormone and he speaks testosterone. Needless to say, since he was so violently ill I got out of bed and put myself together in under 20 minutes to get out the door and on the way.

So I'm trying to mentally prep myself for this event. What a pleasure it was to exit our humble home and find some of the densest fog I've seen in a very loooonnnnggg time. Talk about someone having a sense of humor! So, I'm leaving a few minutes late, to go to a meeting I know very little about, at a location I'm not sure of, to give a "commercial" for a guy that I don't even know exactly what he does or who he works for. Yip ... that's my life!

Needless to say, I made it to the location even with some people coming in after me. Grabbed some breakfast off the buffet, found a seat, somewhat ate, breathed and definitely wondered what in the world I was doing there.

Then the meeting started. Fortunately for the visitors there (remember I'm just a sub) they explained the different areas/rolls of the networking group. Then they promptly went in to the "commercials" starting on the far side of the room. You can bet I'm praying like crazy that there will be a sub before me so I know better what I'm suppose to do ... oh yeah - and the small issue that I still am not exactly sure what Steve does except that it is some type of insurance. Now here's absolute proof there is a God (for anyone that has ever doubted) ... they have a box that each of the members has a tab with their business cards in front of. Wonders of wonders they started it on my side of the room. (See I told you there was a God.) So thanks to the great resourcefulness I was either blessed with or have learned through all the other times of being pushed out of my comfort zone ... I purposely went through the box looking for Steve's card to see exactly what he does. Proof that I still have a lot of learning to do -- I got that he did health insurance but missed who for. While frantically looking for his card I kind of missed being able to fully focus on the sub ... who was to be my example of what to do/say. Oops!

Okay, now like I'm really going to be able to listen to what all these people are saying while my mind is going 90-to-nothing trying to figure out what I'm going to say in not one but TWO commercials. (At least I know what my husband does ... kind of!) They had some well-organized and rehearsed members there with some clever commercials. (Maybe that's why I'm NOT a member and hadn't been invited to go as a visitor before ... you think?) PTL I didn't have to give one for me - the sub that was subbing for the sub of the member! Needless to say, I got the commercials out and back in my seat without any major mishaps.

WheeWhoo!! All this before 8 AM ... it's been years since my life had that type of networking business type detail in it ... I mean YEARS! Pre-marriage even! (Was there even life before marriage? Oh yeah - thanks to Facebook I'm recalling some of it.) And to imagine I used to live that way on full thrust 24/7. What was I ever thinking!?! No wonder I have such amazing natural "highlights" in my hair.

It definitely got my heart pumping and after coming home and checking on my sicklings ... I had an amazing study time. Of course it was down by the lake after the fog cleared. Could it get much better?

Talk about a great day!

So, when's the last time you were taken out of your comfort zone?

No comments: